I have released four recipe books so far:

The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen
The Best of Raw Freedom Community
Delightfully Raw and
Deliciously Raw

These feature some of the most delectable creations to have come out of my raw kitchen and will appeal to anyone interested in a healthier diet, regardless of their level of knowledge and experience. From easy one-step everyday fare to more elaborate and involved gourmet dishes and layered cakes, they offer something for everyone and every occasion. Incredibly tasty smoothies, creamy and comforting warm soups, sexy salads, delicious nut cheezes, satisfying entrees and scrumptious guilt-free desserts...

Healthy food never tasted so good!

To learn more about my recipe books, click here!

Monday, December 24, 2007

Recipe of the Week: Cheezy Spinach Balls

Phfew! This has been an intense last few days. I feel like I've been playing with food all week: crab cakes, pizzas, quiches, nori snacks, zucchini roll-ups, cheesecake, brownies, chocolate mousse torte, fruitcake... But what else is new, right? Thankfully, I've been having fun in the process and got some helpers to give me a hand.

I've been brainstorming about raw finger foods, you know, the kind of things you could take along to a party and impress all your SAD friends. I'll be sharing some recipe ideas with you in a couple of days, definitely long enough ahead of time to prepare them for the upcoming New Year's parties. In the meantime, here's a raw rendition of the popular cheese spinach balls that I came up with.


Cheezy Spinach Balls
2 cups spinach
5 pieces of onion bread crumbled up
1 cup cashews
1/2 cup macademias
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 large garlic clove
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon ACV
2 teaspoons ground flax seeds
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch nutmeg

Blend all ingredients until smooth in the food processor.

Drop by the teaspoon on a teflex sheet and dehydrate.

Carmella's Notes: Unfortunately, the batter was a tad too sticky to shape into balls. They are yummy nonetheless!

4 comments:

  1. I would use one of those little tiny ice cream scoop/melon baller/cookie dough scoops that is about an inch across and has the squeezy handle to release the dough. You end up with a half-circle. There is also one that is a bit bigger that is oval shaped. I love those things

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use those, too. The scoops are great for mock meatballs, macaroons, falafel, etc.

    I think you are on to something with this recipe. I love the green color. It reminds me of "Green Eggs and Ham." Those that aren't raw may be hesitant to try them at first, but their curiosity may get them to at least take a bite in the end.

    Hope you had a lovely holiday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like I'll have to get one of these gadgets.

    shannonmarie,
    I also thought the color might be a turn off to the non-initiated. Using no ACV would probably have allowed the color to be more of a dark green shade which might be less intimidating. I decided to go with the tartness and to heck with looks. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your newsletters.....the beautiful pictures, introducing me to parts of our country I will probably never get to explore and your great recipes for raw foods. Thank you so much for all this. I don't remember how I found you but I'm so glad I did. Whenever I see "Foodblitz" I immediately go to it. The only thing I would suggest is that you give the location of the park that you are visiting for those of us who have missed a newsletter before stating where you are going....such as Hidden Valley in such-n-such Arizona or wherever....love the pictures. Thanks. Elaine

    ReplyDelete