I have released four recipe books so far:

The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen
The Best of Raw Freedom Community
Delightfully Raw and
Deliciously Raw

These feature some of the most delectable creations to have come out of my raw kitchen and will appeal to anyone interested in a healthier diet, regardless of their level of knowledge and experience. From easy one-step everyday fare to more elaborate and involved gourmet dishes and layered cakes, they offer something for everyone and every occasion. Incredibly tasty smoothies, creamy and comforting warm soups, sexy salads, delicious nut cheezes, satisfying entrees and scrumptious guilt-free desserts...

Healthy food never tasted so good!

To learn more about my recipe books, click here!

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Kelp Noodles in Peanut Sauce (And a Very Special Sale You Won't Wanna Miss!)

In the last week, the key words around here have been "letting go".

We knew a move was in the foreseeable future, but what we didn't know was that we'd have to leave at the end of this month. Eeeek! Talk about shifting gears! So here we are once again, packing our stuff and hunting for a new home. I'm trying to lighten up as much as I can, especially since moving seems now to have become a regular thing. It's work to sort through everything and decide what stays and what goes, but man, does it ever feel good! I love that feeling of getting rid of stagnant energy and shedding layers! Must have something to do with Spring being just around the corner. Even if new things usually start coming into the picture soon enough to replace the old, at least there's a sense of renewal, of change...



I finally decided to take the plunge and ordered kelp noodles... and LOTS of 'em!!! After reading rave reviews about the latter, I finally got around to trying them recently. Wow, now I can see what the rage is about! They have a very mild, neutral flavor that will go well with virtually any type of sauce. Soooooo many possibilities to play with!

Noodle Talk  
The first thing you'll notice upon opening the package of kelp noodles is the strange smell, but no worries, there's no dodgy chemical preservatives in there. Giving the noodles a good rinse will mostly take care of it. You'll also notice that they're kinda crunchy. Depending on what you're preparing (for instance a salad), this may not be an issue. On the other hand, if you're looking for a pasta effect, you'll want to soften them up. I soaked mine in water for several hours and while they seemed to enlarge in size, they still remained crunchy. *scratching my head* After some research, I found out that the key is to let the noodles sit in something acidic (such as lemon juice or vinegar) for a few minutes in order for them to get soft. Don't ask me why, but it DOES work! 

In the following recipe, the Peanut Sauce contains some lime juice so you can toss the noodles directly in the sauce and it does the trick. Addictive stuff!
  Kelp Noodles & Veggies in Peanut Sauce  

Serves 4 or 5  

1 package kelp noodles 

'Peanut' Sauce  

3 tbs almond butter 
2 tbs tahini  
2 garlic cloves  
2 1/2 tbs lime juice  
1 tbs tamari  
1 tbs raw sesame or coconut oil  
1 tbs olive oil  
1/2 tbs grated fresh ginger root  
1/4 - 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (depending on how hot you like it)  
1/2 tsp salt  
1 1/2 Medjhool dates  
1/4 cup water (or more, to taste) 
 
Blend until smooth. If necessary, add more water until desired consistency is reached. 

Veggies  
3 cups sliced baby bok choi  
1 cup grated carrot  
1 cup grated daikon  
1/2 cup chopped red pepper  
2 green onions, sliced 

Assembly  
Place rinsed noodles and veggies in a large bowl. Toss with desired amount of Peanut Sauce. Let sit on the counter or in the D for 30 minutes before serving. 

Optional: Top with sliced mushrooms marinated in a little olive oil and tamari.  

Carmella's Notes:  
~ When I first made this, I left the dish for an hour on the counter, then popped it in the D for an extra hour. Not a good idea! The noodles had that 'overcooked' texture to them. (If you've left pasta cook for too long before, then you know what I mean!) Most recipes I've come upon suggest to let the noodles soak up the marinade or sauce for about 30 minutes before serving.  

~ For a simpler variation of this, you could skip the veggies and just toss the noodles in the sauce. 
 
~ For more info on kelp noodles and lots of other great recipe ideas, have a look at this site! O.K. Gotta get back to packing... ;-)

14 comments:

  1. Carmella, you ROCK. I am so inspired by your life. Thanks for creating such amazing recipes they appear at just the right time... when I have kelp noodles in the fridge for example!
    Looking forward to hearing about the move.
    With Love
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, we're selling our place in the VI, interested? haha The weather is beautiful year round, and we have lots of space for container gardening (the soil is rock so the ground is out) and a nice SUNNY kitchen with a view of the Caribbean!
    Dang am I going to miss it! We are moving back to Charleson,SC Mar.23! Only 2 weeks! Crazy
    Good luck with the move...
    M (hippimom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip on soaking the kelp noodles! I like the crunchiness for certain dishes but wouldn't mind a softer texture every now and then. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having this for dinner tonight. I soak my kelp noodles in lemon -garlic water overnight, so they're ready to rinse, toss with a sauce, and serve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sarah! hehe The same thing seems to happen for another friend of mine too. Guess we're on the same wave length. ;-)

    Oh Mandy, I bet you'll miss your Caribbean hideaway! Hope your move goes smooth too!

    Winona,
    Great idea about the lemon/garlic water! We're having noodles tonite too. Yay! I'll serve mine with some pesto I've got sitting in the fridge. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe and noodle tips. I think a good soak in lemon juice might make them more appeasing to the non-raw loved ones I share meals with sometimes.

    Off to check out the sale!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got turned on to Kelp Noodles at the Vod Deli Raw Cafe in Reno NV and I must say they are soooo Addictive! Your recipe (as all of your do) Look divine and I cant wait to try making it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently tried kelp noodles too!
    They are very good-I prepared mine asian style-my non-raw hubby loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got some kelp noodles from RFW. Don't you just love Matt and Angela? RFW is a hidden gem and I'm glad I found it:) I am so excited to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing Sarah. I love the picture, it looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am eating this tonight. I am so excited. It is my first time eating kelp noodles. I just made the sauce...its so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yumm! Sounds good. I love peanut.s sauce. I would like to make it by your following recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love kelp and other seaweed, especially wakame. I thought kelp noodles will be more like kelp itself, so without trying first, I ordered 72 12oz packages. This product is turned a complete garbage to me. It tastes like nothing and has a texture of dried silicone caulking. I’m putting all boxes on Craigs list for someone to take it free. (Athens GA). All I can say, stick to what Japan eats if you want seaweed.
    Just to be fair to any other stuff that might be called kelp noodles; the product I bought was made by “Sea Tangle” (and this is not kelp cut into form of noodles, its kelp mixture with water, which then hardens to as I put it : hardened silicone caulking. Soaking or cooking does not change it, its not kelp).

    ReplyDelete
  13. My experience with kelp noodles...
    I love kelp and other seaweed, especially wakame. I thought kelp noodles would be more like kelp itself , so without trying first, I ordered 72 12oz packages. This product has turned out to be a complete garbage to me. It tastes like nothing and has a texture of dried silicone caulking. I’m putting all boxes on Craigs list for someone to take it free. (Athens GA). All I can say, stick to what Japan eats if you want seaweed (and they never even heard of this product, they eat actual kelp).
    Just to be fair to any other stuff that might be called kelp noodles; the product I bought was made by “Sea Tangle” (and this is not kelp cut into form of noodles, its kelp mixture with water, which then hardens to as I put it: "hardened silicone caulking". Soaking or cooking does not change it, its not kelp).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had this tonight for the 2nd time and I love it! Check out my variation: http://rawnchy.blogspot.com/

    You have some really wonderful recipes. Thank you for posting.

    Wishing you a very Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete