I have released four recipe books so far:

The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen
The Best of Raw Freedom Community
Delightfully Raw and
Deliciously Raw

These feature some of the most delectable creations to have come out of my raw kitchen and will appeal to anyone interested in a healthier diet, regardless of their level of knowledge and experience. From easy one-step everyday fare to more elaborate and involved gourmet dishes and layered cakes, they offer something for everyone and every occasion. Incredibly tasty smoothies, creamy and comforting warm soups, sexy salads, delicious nut cheezes, satisfying entrees and scrumptious guilt-free desserts...

Healthy food never tasted so good!

To learn more about my recipe books, click here!

Monday, May 12, 2008

Recipe of the Week: Pasta in Creamy Alfredo with Mushrooms and Asparagus

So much is going on around here these days! Between my recent chocolate marathon, organizing Raw Freedom Community's First Anniversary Draw, the release of a new recipe ebook and the upcoming move, it's a wonder I find time to prepare food at all! Whenever it gets that busy, I always fall back on simple and easy dishes.

As Don picked up some lovely fresh asparagus at the local market today, I jumped on the opportunity to make the following recipe Rawbie posted a few weeks back on RFC. I was planning on using some pine nut parmesan I had sitting in the freezer, but completely forgot about it. No matter, this was absolutely delicious anyways!


Zucchini Pasta
1 - 2 medium zucchini squash per person, transformed into pasta using a spiral slicer (or hand shredder)

Creamy Alfredo with Mushrooms and Asparagus
By Cherie Soria of Living Light Institute

Yield: 1 1/3 cup (Serves 4)

6-8 crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon tamari
1 teaspoon olive oil
---
1/2 cup pine nuts, soaked 2 hours, rinsed, and drained
1/2 cup cashews, soaked 2 hours, rinsed, and drained
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoon agave nectar
2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
2 teaspoon light miso
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt, or salt to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of white pepper
---
4 stalks asparagus, sliced on the diagonal into 1/2-inch pieces
3 tablespoons Pine Nut Parmesan, optional garnish (see recipe, below)

For the Marinated Mushrooms:
Toss the mushrooms, tamari, and olive oil together and set aside.

For the Alfredo Sauce:
Put the pine nuts, cashews, water, lemon juice, and agave in a blender and blend until creamy. If the mixture is too thick for the blender, add a very small amount of water (by the teaspoon – just enough to blend). When the mixture is smooth and creamy, add the nutritional yeast, miso, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, nutmeg, and pepper and blend briefly to mix.

Assembly:
To serve, squeeze out the excess liquid from the mushrooms. Toss the mushrooms, asparagus, and pasta together well.

Garnish with optional Pine Nut Parmesan. Store any leftover sauce in a sealed glass jar in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Carmella's Notes: I marinated the asparagus along with the mushrooms and used part cashews and macadamia nuts for the sauce.


Pine Nut Cream or Pine Nut Parmesan

Yield: 3 cups cream or 1 1/2 cups parmesan

2 cups pine nuts, soaked in water for 4 hours
1 cup or more water
1 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt
1/4 teaspoon probiotic powder

Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender, adding more water, if necessary, to achieve a smooth, creamy texture. For Pine Nut Cream, use as is; for Pine Nut Parmesan, spread 2 cups of the batter evenly on a dehydrator tray lined with a non-stick sheet and dehydrate at 105 degrees for 12 -18 hours, or until crisp. Scrape the dried batter off the sheet and refrigerate in a glass jar for up to 1 month. Use as a topping for pastas and salads.

For more awesome pasta recipe ideas by Cherie Soria, click here!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, yum! It looks delicious!
    You've got my attention!
    Will you be attending the Raw Spirit Festival in Sedona this September?

    Peace,
    Lorena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lorena,

    No, I won't be attending it this fall. Actually, I was asked to participate but declined. (What!?!) See, I'm a behind-the-scene kinda gal (or should I say 'behind-the screen'? lol) and would be at a loss doing a presentation in front of so many people. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious Carmella! I've been wanting to find a good "alfredo" sauce and this just might be it! Just when I think I couldn't be any more impressed you surprise me with another amazing creation. Raw talent I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made it last night. Really good. Thanks for the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I just made the alfredo sauce and OH MY GOD! It was all I could do to keep myself from licking the blender blades. Which would be a very, very bad idea.
    I don't have any asparagus, but I have a nice ripe tomato, and am marinating some shitakes (with a little dried basil) dinner tonight. YUM!
    Thanks for the wonderful inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flyingmum,
    I'm the one who should be thanking you. I didn't know what to make for supper yesterday until I saw your comment... See, inspiration can go both ways! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carmella

    I had just tried your recipe it was so amazing! My husband absolutely Loved this dish.. He was ready for another helping the next day!

    You ROCK! Just love reading about your updates. How is your journey going? I can't wait to find more awesome recipes.
    Do you have any using Acorn squash or yellow summer squash?
    Thanks again
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Linda!

    So cool that both you and your hubby so enjoyed this dish! Yay!

    The journey is going good, thanks. We're approaching the end of our stay here in Quebec, and will be back on the road in 3 weeks time or so. Our 'plan' is to travel across the US for the fall/winter. We'll see what Life has in store for us in this next chapter of our adventures. ;-)

    As for recipes with raw squash, I admit that it's an ingredient I don't use often. However, if you use the google search engine in my blog's sidebar and enter "squash", a few posts/recipes will come up.

    Hope this helps!

    Blessings,
    Carmella

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to try Zucchini Pasta out since I've never had it before and this looks like a good recipe to start with. Now I just have to find myself a spiral slicer!

    ReplyDelete