I have released four recipe books so far:

The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen
The Best of Raw Freedom Community
Delightfully Raw and
Deliciously Raw

These feature some of the most delectable creations to have come out of my raw kitchen and will appeal to anyone interested in a healthier diet, regardless of their level of knowledge and experience. From easy one-step everyday fare to more elaborate and involved gourmet dishes and layered cakes, they offer something for everyone and every occasion. Incredibly tasty smoothies, creamy and comforting warm soups, sexy salads, delicious nut cheezes, satisfying entrees and scrumptious guilt-free desserts...

Healthy food never tasted so good!

To learn more about my recipe books, click here!

Monday, May 19, 2008

Recipe of the Week: Pajon Bread

In spite of all that's going on lately, I've somehow managed to have a savory D day this week as our reserves of breads and crackers were getting dangerously low. It's no wonder... that's pretty much all we've been eating other than chocolate candy in the last little while! lol I got bold and tried a few new bread recipes, and the amazing thing is that they all turned out fabulous! I'll do my best to report in greater details in the coming days, but in the meantime, here's my favorite of the bunch: Cheflandria's Pajon Bread. It's pliable, super tasty and visually beautiful. I can tell I'll be making this one a LOT!

Pajon Bread
Posted by Flandria on Raw Freedom Community

I love this “pajon” bread. “Pajon” is a Korean Onion/Green Onions pancakes served as an appetizer. It’s delicious and finally got to eat a raw version of it. It is so good with a big salad with a sweet oriental dressing. A great compliment. If you try this, let me know what you think!

1/2 cup almond flour, dry or dehydrated pulp
1/2 cup flax seeds, grounded
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sesame oil
1 tsp white pepper
2 tsp nama shoyu
1 stalks of green onions, chopped
1 bulb of shallot, sliced thin
1/4 - 1/2 cup water

Mix everything in a bowl except water, green onions and shallots. Mix well. Add 1/4 cup of water and mix. Make sure the consitency is like a soft bread batter, add more water one tablespoon at a time if needed until consistency is achieved. Soft bread batter where you can still spread the batter into the teflex sheets about 1/8 inch thick.

Spread with a butter knife in a teflex sheet. Dehydrate for about 4-6 hours. It should still be soft in the middle and pliable to cut into 2×2 inch squares. Serve right out of the dehydrator with salad. Enjoy!

Carmella's Notes:
~ I used organic tamari instead of Nama Shoyu and sweet onion instead of shallot.

~ It was a little too salty for me so I made a mental note to cut down on the salt next time.

~ The batter took a lot longer to dehydrate, but that's probably because I used too much water. No matter... This bread was sooooooo delish!!!

~ The above recipe doesn't yield very much so you might want to double or even triple it.


Here's Flandria's rendition. As you can see, her pieces are a bit thicker than mine...


Oh, and make sure to pop by Gone Raw for more of her yummy recipe creations.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Can I susbstitute nama shoyu with braggs?

    This looks gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. raw bliss,
    I'd suggest going with tamari instead, if you can. Braggs is BAD news as it contains a form of MSG. Yuck! More info about it here:
    http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1898

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Carmella and Chef Flandria has some amazing recipes! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. carmella, i've been following your blog for about a week now; my family is trying a raw diet. i made these "scallion pancakes" a few days ago and they were amazing! i've tried a few of your other recipes as well and your blog is basically my "go-to" resource now. i wrote about making these here:

    http://groundedraw.blogspot.com/2008/05/sea-vegetable-salad-with-marinated.html

    thanks for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to make this once I get my own dehydrator! I borrowed a friend's 9-tray Excalibur and had a lot of fun with it. Now I can't decide whether to purchase a 9- or a 5- tray... what do you think? (I never made more than 3 trays at a time with the borrowed one, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't.)

    Love your recipes!
    Diana :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. chandelle,
    Your pancakes look incredible! What an awesome idea!

    Diana,
    I would personally recommend the 9 tray as I've heard so many people say how they wished they had gone for that one instead of the 5. Once you really get into it, even the 9 tray will seem small. ;-)

    ReplyDelete