I have released four recipe books so far:

The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen
The Best of Raw Freedom Community
Delightfully Raw and
Deliciously Raw

These feature some of the most delectable creations to have come out of my raw kitchen and will appeal to anyone interested in a healthier diet, regardless of their level of knowledge and experience. From easy one-step everyday fare to more elaborate and involved gourmet dishes and layered cakes, they offer something for everyone and every occasion. Incredibly tasty smoothies, creamy and comforting warm soups, sexy salads, delicious nut cheezes, satisfying entrees and scrumptious guilt-free desserts...

Healthy food never tasted so good!

To learn more about my recipe books, click here!

Monday, July 7, 2008

Recipe of the Week: Apricot Mango Poppy Fusion

I have a confession to make: I came dangerously close to skipping this week's recipe. WHAT!?!

Hang on a sec, let me explain...

See, I haven't had a chance to create much in the kitchen lately (other than recipe testing for the new ebook that is.) Speaking of which, the ebook is now finished as of last night. Yippee!!! Right now, I'm in the process of transferring the document into a PDF file which is turning into quite the feat due to technical problems. (Computers I tell ya!) Thankfully, my good friend and fellow raw foodie, Ingrid, is giving me a hand trying to figure it out. By the way, Ingrid released a couple of gorgeous ebooks of her own in the last few months.

One thing I did manage to do, however, is prepare my birthday meal over the weekend. I began by whipping up a strawberry chocolate drink based on Heathy's Chocolate Decadence. Ahhhhhhh Raw Heaven! On the dinner menu were some of my faves: Cream of Zucchini Soup, Lasagna Magnifica and a mixed green salad with my house dressing (both recipes from my first ebook.)


As it turns out, I ended up having 3 desserts altogether!!! (Do I have good karma or what? lol) Of course, I just HAD to make my defacto birthday treat: Strawberry Shortcake.


Then, Rysiek and Niomi brought over an upside down cake made with fresh strawberries picked from the garden. And lastly, Manu created this lovely apricot and mango pie on a poppy seed crust for the occasion. He wanted to make it without using any nuts, and did a fabulous job!

Apricot Mango Poppy Fusion
By Manu

Crust:
1 cup poppy seeds
1 cup dried coconut
1 cup walnuts
4 Medjhool dates
1/2 tbs vanilla extract

Grind poppy seeds and coconut in coffee grinder until fine.

Place walnuts, dates and vanilla in food processor and process until uniform.

Add ground poppy seeds and coconut and process some more.

Press in pie plate. (He used a 9" plate with a removable bottom.)

Apricot Layer:
1/3 cup dried apricots, soaked
Water just enough to cover the apricots
3 tbs melted coconut oil
2 tbs agave nectar
1 tbs vanilla extract

Blend all ingredients in high-speed blender until smooth.

Mango Layer:
1 cup mango
2 tbs melted coconut oil
1 tbs melted cacao butter
3 tbs agave nectar
1 tbs vanilla extract

Blend all ingredients in high-speed blender until smooth.

Chocolate Topping:
2 tbs cacao powder
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup cashews
1 tbs melted cacao butter
1 tbs melted coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
Agave nectar, to taste

Blend all ingredients in high-speed blender until smooth. Adjust sweetener to taste.

Assembly:
On poppy seed crust, pour Apricot Layer, followed by Mango Layer.

Finish off with the Chocolate Topping.

Set in freezer until firm.


Hum, now I wish it could be my birthday more often... Oh wait, come to think of it: why would I need an excuse to eat such yummy foods? ;-)

7 comments:

  1. your food ALWAYS looks so amazing. Can I come live at your house? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry sara but I'm in line before you! Carmella, wow! Wonderful again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, move over guys because I'm moving in first!! Or at least, I want to go to Carmella's birthday party. Happy Birthday Carmella! The food looks fabulous. I'm speechless. I can only manage Wow wow wow wow and wow. Lovely, all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha... You guys are too funny! We better start looking for a mansion by the sound of it! ;-)

    Thanks Rosie for the b-day wishes. I had a fab time; looks like they're getting better and better every year. Perhaps we should throw a virtual party next year? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only if you can email birthday cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I hope yours was an extra special birthday!! And just in case we've not communicated our appreciation for you and your blog and your amazing raw food often enough: You are AMAZING!!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carmi - I'm getting dizzy with all your recipes I have lined up to try. ;-) This looks and sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete