I have released four recipe books so far:

The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen
The Best of Raw Freedom Community
Delightfully Raw and
Deliciously Raw

These feature some of the most delectable creations to have come out of my raw kitchen and will appeal to anyone interested in a healthier diet, regardless of their level of knowledge and experience. From easy one-step everyday fare to more elaborate and involved gourmet dishes and layered cakes, they offer something for everyone and every occasion. Incredibly tasty smoothies, creamy and comforting warm soups, sexy salads, delicious nut cheezes, satisfying entrees and scrumptious guilt-free desserts...

Healthy food never tasted so good!

To learn more about my recipe books, click here!

Monday, February 25, 2008

Recipe of the Week: Super Choconana Shake

This week, I got to make my friend Leah's Layered Chocolate Mousse Cake as she had asked me to put it to the test. (Ahhhhh! The things you do for friends! lol) It was absolutely scrumptious and visually stunning (I love LOVE the effect of the different shades!) Leah still wants to tweak the recipe a bit, so you'll have to be patient before you get to give it a try. But that's not to say you can't drool over it...
A real beauty, isn't it?


I also made Lana's lovely Creamy Spicy Broccoli & Greens Soup a few times, which you can find posted on Raw Freedom Community. However, I've decided to feature a chocolate drink I've been enjoying these last few days. Not only because it's yummily addictive, but it is a pretty rare occurrence around here. See, we've fallen into the routine of Don preparing a green smoothie every morning with whatever fruits are on hand. As a result, we hardly ever venture to try something new in the beverage making department. Inspired by Ginger's fantastic Best Coffee Ever, this superfood shake will leave you fueled up and crying for more.


Super Choconana Shake

Yields about 3 cups

1 banana
2 cups almond milk
1 medjhool date
2 tsp raw cacao powder
1 tsp carob powder
1 tsp maca
2 capsules Fo-Ti, also known as Ho Shou Wu* (optional)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Dash nutmeg

* Fo-Ti/Ho Shou Wu is a Chinese herb and can be found at health or supplements stores.


Blend all ingredients until smooth and frothy in high power blender.

Carmella's Notes:
~ If you don't have almond milk already made, you can quickly whip some up by blending 2 tbs of almond butter with 2 cups water.

~ Depending on the ripeness of your banana, you may want to add a touch of agave nectar for sweetness.

~ If using fo-ti, open the gel caps and empty the content (powder) into the blender.


Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. I hope you'll share the recipe! It looks incredible!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a real beauty. I love anything chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have the recipe for the cake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carmella, you have done it again. I'm left staring at my monitor and wondering if it tastes as good as the real thing. No seriously, I really want to bite a chunk out of my monitor. Thanks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you all, but remember, Leah gets all the credits for this beauty. ;-)

    charissa and runnergirl,
    I promise to post the recipe as soon as Leah is done tweaking it to perfection.

    Yardsnacker! What's up man? Yep, the looks aren't deceiving. This is a seriously yummy cake. Hum, come to think of it, there's a couple more pieces left in the freezer. Guess what's for dessert...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is phenomenal! I enjoyed many of your recipes and thought that one way of thanking you is to give you an "Excellent Blog" award. What you offer is more than excellent. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks zorana, that is so sweet of you! So glad you're enjoying hanging out in my virtual kitchen. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Carmi!
    I had no idea you posted a pic of my cake?? Thanks that is so sweet! Gee whiz I guess I better get my Vita-mix fixed so I can have another go at the cake! Big Hugs...... Leah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've already made the superfoodcoffee recipe and this has some welcome changes. The maca powder is reduced(thank god that stuff is strong!)which is good because that's the stimulant. The original recipe has cashews instead of almond milk which also works fine w/ a cup of water and ice. Banana is an awesome idea because the maca powder can be a little strong on the stomach if you haven't eaten recently. Haven't tried the Ho Shou Wu because I was looking at about 40.00'$ or more with the maca and Ho shou. Just using cacao, maca, van x, nutmeg, water/ice and sweetner makes a great drink but the banana would help. This drink is reminescent of a frappicinno drink!!! Very tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carmella,

    I was surfing the internet and found the picture of this layered mousse cake. It looks absolutely devine and delicious! As it was dated back in 2008, have you gotten this recipe posted in your blog that I could try?

    Cheers
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Meeshelle,

    The recipe was never posted on my blog as it's not my original recipe, but if you send me an email at sunnyrawtkichen(at)gmail(dot)com, I could forward it to you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete