I have released four recipe books so far:

The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen
The Best of Raw Freedom Community
Delightfully Raw and
Deliciously Raw

These feature some of the most delectable creations to have come out of my raw kitchen and will appeal to anyone interested in a healthier diet, regardless of their level of knowledge and experience. From easy one-step everyday fare to more elaborate and involved gourmet dishes and layered cakes, they offer something for everyone and every occasion. Incredibly tasty smoothies, creamy and comforting warm soups, sexy salads, delicious nut cheezes, satisfying entrees and scrumptious guilt-free desserts...

Healthy food never tasted so good!

To learn more about my recipe books, click here!

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Carmella's Health Update Video - Part II

Hi guys!

Let me begin by expressing my heart-felt gratitude to you all for your warm support and words of comfort. I didn't expect such a response to last week's video in which I shared the health issues I've been experiencing. I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful community of friends! Thank you!!!

Well, today I have nothing but good news for you! Yay! In this video I tell you a little about the protocol that I've been following in order to heal myself naturally of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

Here's a list of some of the resources I mention in the video:

Jini Patel Thompson - ListenToYourGut.com
100% organic cotton strainer bag - EcoPeaceful.com
Natren Probiotics - Natren.com

It's strange to think that as I'm typing this some of the most inspiring and dedicated members of the raw food community are gathered only 40 minutes away at the Raw Living Expo in Sedona. I wish I'd been able to partake in the festivities but I feel that I'm needing some quiet healing time right now.

Hope you're all having a sun-filled and joyous weekend!


  1. Hi Carmella,
    For the Constipation, you might try a natural suppository made with essential oil and coconut oil. Go to optimalhealthnetwork.com fantastic site on this very subject. Good luck (;

    1. Thanks Debbie. I actually happen to have the exact same ice trays for making suppositories that she recommends in her video. Yay!

  2. Thank you for your courage and honesty Carmella. It is indeed wonderful that your body is slowly but surely healing! You look and sound so much better. Your vibrancy is returning! What a blessing, for which to be grateful.

  3. Carmella,
    Thank you for courageously showing your journey to all of us. I have been following you, quietly for a year or so and love your blog.
    I wanted to suggest slippery elm bark for your constipation.
    You take a T of the powder, and mix it in a cup of water, constantly stirring while warming. It becomes mucilaginous as it hydrates, so once it is thick, it is ready. If you think it is too thick for your case, just add more liquid, taking small sips at a time.
    It coats the entire intestinal tract, and quiets down the irritated tissues.
    It really helped me with constipation, and is also a source of nutrients for wasting disease.
    Blessings, and best of luck.

    1. I was taking slippery elm powder every day prior to the elemental diet because of how it coats the intestines but didn't realize it was also good for constipation. Thanks!

  4. Hi Carmella,

    I'm glad you are starting to feel better! I was wondering which probiotic you've been taking, I couldn't quiet make out the brand name.

    Thanks for the update, and I hope you continue to improve.

    1. The probiotics I use are made by a company called Natren. I must say I've VERY impressive with their quality standards.

  5. Carmella, We are so glad to hear you are feeling better on the new protocol and we wish you continued improving health.

    Sending lots of love and blessings from snowy Calgary!


    1. Hi Sandy! *waving*

      Wish you guys were down here in Arizona with us! ;-)

      Hugs to you and the whole fam!


  6. Hi Carmella,
    I am glad to know you are fighting this. I am looking at possibly the same problem. Keep your sprit up. I am on your side.

  7. Hello Carmella, I am very pleased to see you on path of recovery, you are shining again, seems everything is going much better now. If you would like to consider intake of marigold (calendula) plant, in Balkans countries it was always successfully used to sooth any inflamatory disease, especially intestines. It's been used in form of herbal tea and oil. All the best, hope to see soon your full recovery story.

  8. Hello Carmella, good to hear you are back on track!
    For help with a smooth stool I use sometimes intestinal movement from Healthforce. I like it a lot and it is not habitforming, but I dont know if this will be OK for you.
    Also chia seeds work for me soaked.
    If I were you I would keep my diet in the future simple, thats the best and very OK when one is used to it
    I listen to David
    Wolfe who says: the less we eat the healthier it is
    As you can see you gained 3 pounds in a week with eating hardly anything in mass.
    I think your digestive system is in a change.
    Much love to you!

  9. Hi brave C. I don't have any words of wisdom here but am reaching out to you with compassion. My dear kitty has similar problem and his doc thought he was too problematic...but since feeding bee pollen he has gained nearly 2.5kg! All in 6 weeks, like a kitten again. If it is too rich right now, maybe it could be fortifying in the path you are climbing? Mother nature hugs of love, Charlie xxx

    1. Thanks Charlie, your comforting words are so appreciated! So sorry to hear that your pussycat had intestinal issues. Poor little thing! Unfortunately for some reason bee pollen gives me terrible stomach ache. Not sure why...

  10. Carmella,
    Natural Calm is a magnesium supplement powder that can be stirred into any liquid and is very gentle and effective for constipation. Most health food stores and online raw stores sell it.
    Thank you for your perpetually sunny outlook and all the wonderful recipes, of course! Prayers and positive energy being sent to you now. I'm happy you are on the mend.

    1. Thanks Linda!

      I remembered that the Raw Food World has sent samples of it along with some past orders. Will give it a try!

  11. Oh you look so much better now. Fresh Aloa Vera gel would also be helpful mixed with water which would have similar effects as slippery elm powder. Very soothing and nourishing for the stomach and intestines. Its quite bitter but can be sweetened with stevia

    1. I forgot to mention in the video that I'm also taking aloe vera juice every day. I recently learned that aloe contains aloin which is a laxative. I guess it wouldn't be such a bad thing in light of constipation but it's actually quite harsh and triggers colonic spams. Most aloe juice brands has aloin except George's Aloe Juice. It's virtually tasteless as I believe that the bitter flavor comes from the aloin.

  12. Carmella, I am so happy to see you are doing much better-

    much love to you, Faith

  13. so glad to see your doing well! i've heard of parents giving agar agar to their babies for constipation.

    1. Hi Kelli dear! *waving*

      Really eh? Interesting!

  14. Hello sweet Carmella :)
    Glad you are slowly healing --- you appear to feel better. Less is probably more in your case, but have you considered Slippery Elm? It's incredible to coat the stomach and can be very soothing & gentle. I know you would need to read up on it first...here's a few links;
    I was able to help heal my poor kitty's horrible stomach problems - she was
    You are in my thoughts, sweet one <3
    Keep healing! You are doing great!!!

    1. Thanks Amanda!

      I actually gave slippery elm to Miss Puss when she had stomach troubles as well. I've been taking some pretty much every day. ;-)

  15. I'm so glad you're feeling better! I can see the improvement already. I hope you keep feeling better! <3

  16. jumping up and down and clapping! so glad you are doing well! big hugs!

  17. Wonderful to hear that you are slowly healing and putting on weight. Re your constipation, please consider a portable bidet (like a sitzbath that often after a woman has given birth, the hospital will provide). I bought mine at a drug store and just use the plastic bowl part of it. I fill it with warmish water (sometimes with a drop or two of lavender essential oil) and immerse my derriere in it and enjoy the warmth. Often any trapped gases will bubble up and any feces debris. This is just a gentle idea. Hope it helps.

  18. Apples are great for gallbladder, beets are good too. Glad the shakes are going down ok. Greens can be hard for me too, cooked ones are better. maybe a veggie broth made with greens? I made one with veggies then strain it. I sometimes cook the juice pulp with water to make a broth.

    flax is a good fat for gallbladder.

    aloe vera juice (I use lakewood) helps with constipation and just soothes the whole digestive tract.

    oregano oil and probiotics are great! interesting about the strains eating each other. i've been having saccharomyces boulardii--I heard it's the best.

    again, thanks for sharing and wishing you lots of healing. xoxo

    hope this is the start to healing from this!

    1. Thanks Bitt!

      I forgot to mention in the video that I also drink veggie broth. I tried using greens in it but I still found it irritating.

      Great to hear that aloe juice helps with the constipation as I've been taking some daily.

      BTW I had my first real BM (not counting the enema) since I started on this diet 12 days ago. Woo hoo! It was quite painful when it was passing through the inflamed parts of my colon so I guess it's actually not such a bad thing that I don't poo much after all. Still I'm glad all those toxins are out. Yay!

    2. Dear Carmella:

      A first real BM in 12 days? How wonderful. Do also try the sitzbath suggestion.

      Love Hal

  19. Hi Carmella,

    I'd love to speak with you more on your condition and the current state. I am currently in the process of recovering from a long bout with Interstitial Cystitis and seem to have developed IBD in some form and am currently suffering from it as well.

    My blog detailing my journey is:


    I actually found you looking for my site as a ranking when viewing page stats. I watched your latest video and its amazing. Please get in contact with me as i would love to pick your brain in regards to holistic and naturopathic healing.